Preparation: 45 min
Cooking time: 35 min
Waiting time: 30 min
Portion: 30-40 crackers
- Biscuit dough
-All purpose flour: 200 gr
-Granulated or powdered sugar: 30 gr
-Unsalted butter: 30 gr – soften at room temperature
-Water: 105 ml
- Butter dough
-All purpose flour: 100 gr
-Unsalted butter: 65 gr – soften at room temperature
-Salted egg yolk: 6
-Granulated sugar: 5 gr
-Granulated sugar or salt: 5-10 gr – for sprinkle
1. Biscuit dough
- In a clean bowl, mix 200 gr all purpose flour with 30 gr granulated sugar
- Add 30 gr soften butter with 105 ml water into mixing bowl and mix all ingredient together to combine to dough.
- Knead the dough by hand for several minutes to elastic. Let it sit in 10 minutes.
2. Butter dough
- Bring salted egg yolk to cook with a steamer or oven, then smash them to paste in a clean bowl.
- Add soften butter into salted egg yolk bowl and whisk them together to creamy
- Add 40 gr sugar in the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add gradually all purpose flour into mixing bowl and mix all ingredient together to combine
- Transfer the dough to plastic wrap, wrap it up and refrigerate in 10-15 minutes to firm
3. Layering and Baking
- Sprinkle a thin layer of dry flour on cutting rolling pin and surface
- Flatten the dough to rectangle
- Place cold salted egg butter on and wrap it up by the dough and seal edges closely.
- Flatten the dough and fold it up
- Turn the dough right angle and flatten it, the fold again.
- Repeat the flatten-fold process for 5-6 times, then refrigerate in fridge in 20 minutes
This process should be done quickly to prevent the butter from melting and absorb to the dough.
- Preheat oven at 170 Celsius degree
- Sprinkle a thin layer of flour on surface, then flatten the dough (thickness around 0.3-0.5 cm)
- Cut the flatten dough into smaller pieces and arrange on baking tray
- Sprinkle granulated sugar on top (optional)
- Bring the crackers to bake at 170 Celsius degree in 15 minutes
- Remove baked crackers from oven and let it stand at least 5 minutes before transferring to rack
Please note that the crackers will break easily when it’s still hot so try not to touch or move them in first 5 minutes after baking
- Let the crackers cool completely on rack and store in closed jar. Best serve within 3-5 days
The pastry dough should be flatten as thin as possible (around 0.3-0.5cm) so that the cracker will be more crispy and crunchy.