Preparation: 20 min
Cooking time: 5 min
Waiting time: 30-60 min
Portion: 10 cup (20-30 ml/ cup)
-Passion fruit: 6
-Whipping cream: 200 ml (fat more than 30%)
-Sugar: 70 gr – divided into 2 parts: 50 gr and 20 gr
-Water: 50 ml
-Gelatin: 8 gr (sheet or powder)
-Mint leaves: optional (for decoration)
-Electric egg beater: 1
-Saucepan : 1
1. Passion fruit mousse
- Soak and wash the passion fruits salty water.
- Cut ⅔ of passion fruit and use a spoon to take out the passion fruit meat and juice.
- Sieve the passion fruit meat to remove the seeds. We can collect around 30-40 ml passion fruit juice after sieving
- Pour the juice into a saucepan. Add 50 gr sugar and 50 ml water, stir slightly.
- Turn on the stove at medium heat. If the juice is not sweet enough, add gradually 5-10 gr sugar until its taste is balance.
- When the juice start boiling, turn off the heat.
- Soaked 8 gr gelatin sheet in cold water for 5-10 minutes. Once soft, lift it from the water and add in hot passion fruit juice saucepan and stir until the gelatin completely dissolved
- Pour passion fruit juice into two separated bowl. One for passion fruit mousse and one for passion fruit jelly.
- Whip 200 ml whipping cream with 20 gr granulated sugar until soft peak
- Pour gradually one bowl of passion fruit juice into whipped cream bowl and use a spatula to mix them until they completely combined. You can taste the flavour while mixing to make sure its flavor is match with yours.
- Wash and soak passion fruit peel in salted water for 5-10 minutes to remove any excess chemical residues.
- Then, use a spoon to remove leftover parts and clean the inside of passion fruit peel. Wash again in fresh water. Dry and left aside.
- Use a knife to cut a thin slice in the bottom of passion fruit peel to make a mousse cup.
You can use glass or plastic cup to contain the mousse if you don’t want to use passion fruit peel as mousse cup.
- Pour the passion fruit mousse in ¾ cups.
- Place the cups on tray and put the whole tray in freezer for 30-45 min or fridge in 60 min to harden the mousse and its surface.
- When the mousse surface is completely harden, use a spoon to pour a thin layer of passion fruit juice (that prepared before) to make a jelly glaze.
Please note that the mousse surface has to be completely harden before doing this step.
- Leave the mousse in fridge again for 15-30 min for hardening the glaze.
- Cold serving. You can serve it a little of passion fruit syrup (you can find the instruction below ) to enhance its flavor and decorate with mint leaves.
It’s best served and reserve in fridge in 1-2 days.