Preparation: 20 min
Cooking time: 35 min
Waiting time: 2 hrs
Portion: 4-6 portions
- Sponge cake
-Egg: 3 at room tempreature
-All purpose flour: 30 gr
-Corn starch: 30 gr
-Oil: 20 ml
-Milk: 10 ml at room temperature
-Sugar: 60 gr
-Cream of tartar: ½ tsp or replace with 3 ml lemon juice
-Salt: a pinch
-Vanilla extract: ½ tsp (~3 ml)
- Passion fruit mousse
-Passion fruit: 3-4 passion fruits
-Whipping cream: 250 ml (>35% fat)
-Sugar: 50 gr – divided into 2 parts: 20 gr and 30 gr
-Gelatin: 3 gr (powder or sheet)
-Fresh water: 30 ml
- Passion fruit jelly glaze
-Passion fruit: 2 passion fruits
-Gelatin: 5 gr
-Fresh water: 20 ml
-Sugar: 20-30 gr
-Corn flakes: 75 gr
-Dark chocolate: 70 gr
-Mint leaves: optional
-Mousse ring 18cm: 1 or springform 18 cm
-Round cake pan 16 cm: 1 or replace by round cake pan 18 cm + 1 mousse ring 16 cm
-Electric egg beater: 1 (>250W)
1. Sponge cake
- Preheat the oven at 175 Celsius degree in 15 min
- Separate the egg yolk and egg white in 2 bowl
- Add a pinch of salt and cream of tartar into bowl of white egg
- Use egg whisk machine to beat the egg white until small bubbles appear
- Slowly add the sugar in mixing bowl, then whisk the egg white at high speed until soft peak (meringue).
- Add separately each egg yolk to meringue bowl and whisk at slow speed.
- Slowly pour and whisk oil and milk into the mixture
- Mix cornstarch with all purpose flour and sieve the flour mixture to mixing bowl. Use the spatula and fold the batter until the flour completely blended
- Add 1
- Place the parchment paper to the cake pan. Pour the batter into pan.
- Bake the batter at 175 Celsius degree in 30-35 min until it baked (the surface bounces when pressing the finger on it).
- Remove the sponge cake out of pan and cool on rack.
2. Passion fruit mousse
You can prepare the mousse while waiting for baking or while cooling the sponge cake to save your time!
- Cut the passion fruit into half, use a spoon to take out the fruit meat and contain in a small bowl (around 60-70 gr passion fruit meat).
- Pour the passion fruit meat into the saucepan, cook at low heat. When it starts boiling, turn off the stove. Sieve to remove the seed.
- Pour the passion fruit juice again to the saucepan, cook at low heat. Add 20 gr sugar and gelatin (that soaked) and stir until they are totally dissolved. Turn off the stove and chill the juice. Put aside.
- Whisk the whipping cream with 30 gr sugar to soft peak. Then pour and mix the whipped cream with passion fruit juice that prepared. Note that the mixture will be hardened (thanks to gelatin) so you should stir the mousse mixture oftenly.
- Cut the sponge cake into 2 part (2 cake layers).
- Place the parchment paper into springform. Put the 1st layer of sponge cake and then pour ½ passion fruit mousse on it. Repeat the steps with second layer.
Please note that if you use the 18 cm cake pan, you need to use the 16 cm mousse ring or knife to trim the sponge cake (each layer should be around 16cm)
- Remember to have 1-2 cm left for the passion fruit glaze. Smooth the surface by using cake smoother. Place the springform in fridge for 30 minutes to harden the mousse.
4. Passion fruit jelly glaze
- For passion fruit glaze, do the same process of passion fruit mousse (from step 1 to step 3).
- Slowly pour the glaze on harden surface of mousse cake that chilled in the fridge.
- Use the plastic wrap to cover the springform, then put it in the freezer in 1-2 hours.
- Cook in a bain-marie 70 gr dark chocolate until completely melt, then pour the chocolate on a parchment sheet. Use the spatula to spread the melted chocolate to have a thin layer.
- Crumble the corn flakes into smaller flakes and sprinkle on chocolate layer. Chill in fridge.
- Remove the mousse cake from the springform by using a warm towel and wrap it around the mold for seconds to make the mousse melt, then you can remove the mold easily.
- Place the cake on another mold (as you see in video) and decorate with 30 gr corn flakes, or you can replace with any kind of nuts (peanut, almond,…)
- Use a hot knife to cut the chilled chocolate that you prepared into small square and decorate on cake surface as your style (or you can do the same way in video).