Preparation: 20 min
Cooking time: 55-60 min
Waiting time: 60-120 min
Portion: 8-10 lamingtons
-Butter: 160 gr – should use high quality butter and soften at room temperature
-Sugar: 130 gr
-All purpose flour: 165 gr
-Egg: 3 – at room temperature
-Milk: 15 ml – at room temperature
-Baking powder: ½ tsp (~ 2.5 gr)
-Salt: a small pinch
-Vanilla extract: ½ tsp (~ 2.5 ml)
-Strawberry jam: 200-300 gr
- Chocolate coconut coat
-Dark or milk chocolate: 300 gr (cut into small pieces)
-Milk: 70 ml
-Unsalted butter: 30 gr
-Desiccated coconut: 200 gr
-Square pan 20×20 cm
-Electric egg beater
1. Cake batter
- Mix well all purpose flour with baking powder. Sieve the flour to a mixing bowl. Left aside
- In another bowl, add soften butter and sugar, use egg beater to beat at low speed until the sugar well combined with butter.
Note: because butter is the main ingredient of this cake so you should choose the high quality butter for mouthful flavor.
- Increase the egg beater speed to medium and continue to beat in 5-10 minutes (until the butter turn to light yellow color). Often use the spatula to dredge ingredient.
- Beat an egg and add to butter bowl. Use egg beater to mix it well (it takes 30s-1 min per egg). Repeat this step with other eggs.
- While beating the ingredient with egg beater, slowly add every spoon of mixed flour to mixing bowl.
- Then slowly pour milk and vanilla extract to batter bowl and beat at low speed until they are completely combined.
- Preheat the oven at 170 Celcius degree for 10 min.
- Place parchment paper into cake pan and pour cake batter into
- Use a spatula to spread batter through, then tap several times before bringing to bake
2. Baking and Shaping
- Put the cake pan in the center of oven and bake at 170 Celcius degree for 50-60 min.
- Remember to check the cake after ½ total baking time. You can use an aluminum foil to put on the pan to avoid burning surface.
- Remove well-baked cake from oven and test again with cake tester or a chopstick.
- Remove the cake from pan and cool on rack.
- Use a knife to trim the edges, then cut the cake into 2 equal parts
- Spread 200-300 gr strawberry jam on a layer of butter cake
- Place another layer on and slightly press it to stick 2 layers together.
- Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and refrigerate in 1-2 hours.
3. Chocolate coconut coating
- Melt 300 gr dark chocolate in a deep bowl
- Remove the cake from plastic wrap and cut into smaller cubes (4×4 cm/ each)
- Dip the cakes on melted chocolate and coat a layer of desiccated coconut.
- Place the cakes on tray that lined parchment paper and refrigerate in 20-30 minutes before serving
Lamington flavor will enhance more after refrigerate for 6-12 hours before serving.