Preparation: 10 min
Cooking time: 30-45 min
Waiting time: 8-12 hours
Portion: 150 gr candied lemon peel
-Lemon peel: 200 gr ~ peel of 2 large lemons
-Granulated sugar: 160 gr – you can increase amount of sugar about 10-20 gr if you prefer sweeter candied peel
-Honey: 20 ml
-Lemon juice: 1 tbsp ~15 ml
-Water: 100-200 ml
-Fine granulated sugar: 40-50 gr – for sugar coating
-Baking soda:15 gr
-Salt: 15 gr – kosher salt or table salt
-Cookie rack: to dry candied peel
- Rinse and soak lemon in warm water for 5-10 minutes to remove wax on lemon peel.
- Rub lemons with salt and baking soda to remove excess chemical residues and wash again with fresh water. Then drain.
- Cut lemon into 4 pieces and peel off, then slice lemon peel along its length
- Bring to boil 1-2 liter of water and add sliced lemon peel into. Boil lemon peels in 3-5 minutes then transfer them to cold water. Repeat this step 1-2 more times to remove bitterness in peel
Lemon peel has less bitterness when compare with other citrus fruit so you only need to boil 1-2 times to remove bitter taste. However with other citrus fruit such as orange, blood grapefruit,… you will need to boil the peel more than 2-3 times before making candied peel
- Drain boiled lemon peels and transfer them to saucepan. Add 160 gr sugar with 20 gr honey into and mix well.
- Let the peels soak in sugar for 5-6 hours in fridge
2. Candied process
- After 5-6 hours of marinating, add 1 tsp lime juice into marinated lemon peel. Mix well
- Cook lemon peels at medium heat in 30-45 minutes. Remember to stir after each 5-10 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- When sugar turns to condensed syrup, turn the stove to low heat and simmer in another 10-15 minutes to make the peel transparent and more chewy
- Transfer candied lemon peels to rack and dry in 3-5 hours, then coat them a layer of sugar.
- Store in closed jar and best serve within 10-15 days
- Lemon peel has less bitterness when compare with other citrus fruit so you only need to boil 1-2 times to remove bitter taste. However with other citrus fruit such as orange, blood grapefruit,… you will need to boil the peel more than 2-3 times before making candied peel